Monday, May 21, 2012

Week Two On The Battlefront!

Well its been two weeks out here and I feel like a fat kid in a buffet! It is so awesome to finally be out in the field and doing what I've been looking forward to for so long! I've learned in my 14 days that it is by no stretch of the imagination even close too easy and two years still feels like a long time, but I'm loving what I'm doing. First I would like to say thank you so much for the package Mom!!
And Dad, when you told me that the Celtics and the Heat were already knocked out of the playoffs, it was another confirmation that I was doing the right thing haha. Man, in the MTC there was normally one cool thing that would happen in a week, but I have so many fun experiences every day here I don't know which one to choose. Well I figured I would give you a taste of my area and tell you guys a little bit about South Dallas. Like I said before, this area is just infested with apostate churches. (And by the way "apostacy" is probably the most used word in this area. It is applied to missionaries singing apostate music [or music of the world] or talking about apostate movies [movies that normal people would see] and to any other faith that really tries to have a throwdown with us.) Some of the most famous Churches here and ones that you may recognize are the I.B.O.C. church and the Potter's House. These are both Mega-Churches whose building's, parking lot's, and attendance put the Staples Center to shame. It's so crazy to see just how misguided these people are but that's our job out here is to put them on the right path! In the song, "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go", it says "It may not be at the battle front", but the TDM mission is starting to petition that they should change the line to "It may not be at Dallas." So many people want to fight our religion and bring such contention into our conversations, so we have to cut it short, and just love them for trying (in their eyes) to come closer to Christ. Some places I feel like a King (when people feed us or we go to church!), and some places I feel like the Plague (when we knock on doors and hear the kids or even the parents say "it's the two guys in the white shirts and ties! Go hide!"), and other places people think I'm just looking for a doctrine throwdown. As difficult as our area is (which is VERY) we did start teaching a young Catholic family this last Monday. We had dropped by about four times before trying to set up an appointment and it has always been chaos. In the small apartment they live in, thier two year old son and five year old daughter are always going crazy, the parents are always busy cooking, talking with friends, or doing something else, and evey time we see them, they've been watching Novella's on T.V. Well this past Monday we were finally able to get an appointment with them, and it was like a dream come true. When we knocked on their door, the Husband answered and told us to come in. The whole family was sitting on one couch and everything was quiet and calm. The wife then told the husband to turn the Novella off, and the kids were just sitting there, patiently listening. My first week here, every scheduled appointment we had fell through, but this lesson made it all worth it! It was amazing how different the environment was when we came in! I felt like I was walking in during the middle of the Sacrament! They were my first new investigators and we have really been able to get thier attention with capitalizing on the blessings and promises we have as families. Can't wait to tell you guys how they're doing next E-mail and hopefully we'll be able to get them (Marco & Elizabeth Pinon) to come to church! This week we've started doing more and more biking, and Dad, I remember you saying I'd regret wanting to stay out of the cold, but I think that the Lord just may have misinterpreted that saying haha. "The tropics aren't cold" is what I was thinking of, but He definately sent me somewhere "not cold" haha. I was dying with the heat and humidity the other day and asked Elder Lee how much hotter it was going to get. He just started laughing, pointed to a sign that said it was only 89 degrees, and said it should raise another 30 somewhere in the summer. Well on the bright side...looks like I'll be getting plenty of Vitamin D! Another bonus to my area is that in all of my tracting down in "the ghettos", I got to talk to Shaq, lil' Bow Wow, Ray Allen, Rasheed Wallace, Damien Marley, Lil' Wayne, and Chris Paul. With only two weeks under my belt, I think that by the end of my mission I will have met the look alikes for the rest of the NBA, and every famous rapper that's existed haha. Oh yeah and my new adress (this is coming from my memory so please correct me if I'm wrong Mom) 
Elder Justin Wilson
6363 W Camp Wisdom Ave Apt 215
Dallas, TX
(Forgot Zip Code) :/
But if you would like, you can also adress it to "The Only White Person That Lives In This Apartment Complex" or "The Only White Person That Lives In Oak Cliff Dallas" and it should make its way to me haha. One last thing is that on my second week here, I've already been chiggered. For those who don't know what this means, chiggers are little Red arachnid bugs that are about the size of the "O" on the "In God We Trust" slogan on the Dime. They bite their way into your skin and just live there. So my body is now a home for way too many of these bugs and they itch me to death haha but apparently the solution is rubbing nailpolish remover on them and the fumes will supposedly kill them. My desire to avoid bugs has already failed and as Elder Lee told me, it's just a part of Texas. Well I love it out here and can feel the help of all your prayers! Thank you guys so much! I miss and love you all!!!
Con todos mi Corazon,
 Elder Justin Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment