Monday, December 2, 2013

Turkey Or Tamales????



As we took our field trip to Oak Cliff we dropped by the Ramos Familia!!! They were the Family that we taught that got sealed in the temple last Saturday. We were road trippin with the Longview zone leaders (from left to right) Elder Vasquez, then my comp Elder Trias, Elder Belnap, and then Me! I didn't know the Elders in the sweaters....too new in the mission and I've veen out east for so long. But you can't see one of the Ramos daughters but they have two!


Y Noviembre ya se fue!!! I still can't believe how fast November just came and left & now it's time to get ready for everyone's favorite Holiday of the year..........................the Birthday of the Santisima Maria!!!! This 12 of December yall better get ready to throw down, get your tribal dance on, and go party with all your Catholic homies!!!

But on the reals this week has been full of all sorts of good stuff...which I would like to start off by the greatest celebration of Thanksgiving known to man....

Elder Trias and I had been pondering for a long time on what we were going to do for Thanksgiving and how we could truly take advantage of that special day. Most people would ask us what our plans were and we would just let them know that we didn't have it planned out quite yet so they'd just invite us to their home and we'd add them to a list that was already full of names for people willing to feed us until our faces turned purple. The list got bigger and bigger until we decided that instead of celebrating Thanksgiving the American way...we were going to celebrate it the Missionary way....so it's time to knock some doors y’all!!!

.....And up till this point in my letter I saw that Rachel got a Mission Call?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So I was going to attempt to continue to finish my letter but I give up now....can't even concentrate. And Rachel hasn't even told me where her Mission is to yet....so I'm kind of freaking out about this. 

It was pretty depressing to see that she'll be gone when I get back...so I'm happy/sad/frustrated/stoked/worried/nervous/anxious/excited/overwhelmed.

....I really just can't accept the fact that Rachel Wilson has a mission call. Makes me feel old. And makes me feel like my mission is coming to an end way toooooo soon. Well I guess the glorious reunion will have to wait until June of 2015....S.I.P. Rachie.....Serve In Peace

I really am just kind of losing it right now. But I guess I'll just finish my story by saying that we did missionary work all thanksgiving day and had the best Thanksgiving dinner.  Following the sound of the classic mariachis in the background coming from 5 cars with their windows rolled down, we walked up to a huge dirt yard. It was 20 something degrees outside and with the humidity, it just cuts straight through you and beats any Utah dry weather. It is seriously colder here than anywhere I've ever been in my life. But we saw that they had a fogata (fire pit) with some Mexicans playing poker right next to it and decided it was time to get warm after braving the freezing cold with our suit coats and just a sweater. So we came up and asked them if we could sit around the fire with them which led to my favorite part...Hispanic hospitality as they welcomed us on in, laughing at the idea of Gringos just walking up sin verguenza and chilling with them. 

Our new Mexican mothers got us plates and loaded them up with Tamales! We had a truly Mexican nothin but finger eatin Thanksgiving! Then they brought us some warm cups of coffee...but then realized that we probably don't drink coffee (I'm still impressed by that), went back, and brought us some Hot Chocolate! So giving thanks doesn't get much better than that....door to door with a message that can change people's lives to go ahead and end the night with all-you-can-finger-eat-Tamales while being re-named Pedro out in the middle-of-nowhere Ore City. Doesn't get much better than that.

So Rachel, all I gotta say is welcome to the club and get ready to start living the dream.

Elder Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment